Friday, September 21, 2018

Hans Luka Waechtler :)

Before I get into his birth story, I gotta back up a little bit haha. On May 22nd, I thought I was going into labor. I had to pack my hospital bag really quick because it wasn't packed yet. I had been in a lot of pain the night before, it felt very similar to my first pregnancy when I was going into labor with Braelynn. Evan ended up staying home from work to be with Braelynn. He was on standby until I knew if I was going for sure. I already had an appointment for a nonstress test that day, so after that, I went to labor and delivery to see how things were going. I was only 36 weeks. I went to a triage room and ended up getting IVs 3 times in my arm because the nurse messed up... it hurt so bad! I had two big bruises on my arms... the nurse that gave me the third one used lidocaine so it wouldn't hurt as bad. I was there for over an hour while they watched contractions, but I didn't progress, so I went home. That week, I had 2 more false alarms. I was certain I was going into labor, we even took Braelynn to my parent's house to stay there in case anything happened, but no haha. I was really frustrated. The next week, I didn't feel like I would be going into labor before my induction. I didn't want to make the same mistake again in going in too early. I went to my appointments, and I was dilated to a 3. On June 3rd, we had a birthday dinner for Phrankee at Evan's parent's house. I felt fine that night, but the next morning I had a nonstress test and a doctor's appointment. The week before, I kept the hospital bag and Braelynn's bag in the car for when we went to the hospital. His car seat was also ready to go. That morning, my dad was going to watch Braelynn since I couldn't take her with me. I had a feeling to leave her overnight bag with them, just in case. On the way to the hospital, I was having contractions that were 5 minutes apart, I would look at my watch and keep track. During my nonstress test, they were 5-8 minutes apart. Everything looked good. My appointment ended 45 minutes before my doctor's appointment. I had a feeling to ask if I could be seen sooner so I wouldn't have to wait for awhile. They were able to get me in, which was nice. My doctor did a cervical exam and said I was still at a 3, but then quickly said I was a 4. She asked if I wanted my membranes stripped. At first, I didn't, but I asked how uncomfortable it would be and she said it wasn't too bad. So, I just had her do it. At this point, I was ready for him to come out, so I didn't mind. It was really interesting, I could feel the amniotic sac and she said his head was really low. Right after, she told me I could go into labor or my water could break, and to stay close by just in case. I walked around the hospital as my pain was getting worse and my contractions were 2 to 3 minutes apart... I am pretty sure I was in denial haha. I called Evan and told him what was happening. He was at work an hour away, so I told him to come now. I called my dad on the way to the car. I had to get my hospital bag, then I went back into the hospital and walked around some more. Evan told me I needed to go into labor and delivery, but I went outside and sat on a bench because I was still in denial haha. I called my mom and asked her to come since Evan was far away. I finally went into labor and delivery and told them I thought I was in labor. I went into a triage room again so they could check me. It took me awhile to get into the bed because I kept having to use the bathroom. Evan ended up getting there before my mom after all because she hit all the red lights. He got there just as the nurse was going to check me to see how dilated I was. She checked my cervix and told me I was dilated to a 5!!! Within 20 minutes, I went from a 4 to a 5!! He was ready to come! I had a huge sigh of relief and asked if I had to go home haha and the nurse said if you want to, but of course, I was staying. They left to get a delivery room ready for me! My mom was there by now, which was nice. By this time, I was in so much pain. I think I was in labor and delivery room 5, which was just across the hall. They had to hook all this stuff up, but before I could get comfortable, I had to use the bathroom. I was in so much pain, I didn't want to get up. They gave me an IV and hooked me up to a monitor to keep track of contractions. I told Evan I couldn't do it anymore because I was in so much pain. The anesthesiologist was really busy because there were a lot of deliveries that morning, so I had to wait a little bit to get my epidural. I had to use the bathroom again, and the nurse said if he came in while I was in there, he would just move on to the next room, so I had to hurry. Luckily, he didn't come while I was in there. I can't remember what time I got it, but I felt so much better after I got it. This time, I stayed in the bed and lied down on my side when I got it. I didn't feel the needle go in, thank goodness. I felt the lidocaine shot and the cold spray. It took about 15 minutes to take effect, then I felt a lot better. Katie came and stayed in the room with us. Evan was working while we waited. The nurse checked on me often. I was feeling a lot of pressure, but I wasn't sure if it was him pushing to come out. Again, I was in denial haha. Evan played some music to try to get him to come out. They came and broke my water and put a catheter in. The nurse came back and asked how I was, and I told her I was having a lot of pressure, but I wasn't sure what it was, and she checked me and I was at a ten! I was ready to go! They got everything ready and had me put my legs up. Evan stayed up top, and my mom and Katie helped with my legs. My doctor got there, and I started to push. She could see his hair and feel his head! I pushed 3 or 4 times and he was out! My doctor asked if Evan wanted to cut the cord, and he said no haha. Katie asked if she could and I said yes. She was so excited! He was born at 3:11pm on June 4, 2018. :) He was so, so tiny and precious. :) They gave him to me right away, then they weighed him. He peed on me five times when my doctor gave him to me! It was pretty funny haha. I was worried because after they handed him to me, he didn't cry very much and he was blue! They took him to the table and everything was fine.  Before he was born, I had everyone who was in the room take a guess on how much he would weigh. My guess was 5lbs, 12 oz. When they took him to the scale, I couldn't see, so I asked how much he weighed and they told me 5lbs, 12 oz and 18 3/4 inches long! I was right on. :) It felt like Braelynn all over again, because he was born very close to the time she was born and I got to the hospital around the same time I did with her too. She was born at 3:22pm, so they were born 11 minutes apart. I had Katie grab my phone and take a picture when he was on the scale. After that, they handed him to me again to try and nurse him, We cuddled a little bit as well. :) When he came out, instantly I thought he looks so much like his daddy! He even had red hair! :) Since he was so tiny, I didn't have to be stitched up, I didn't tear, it was nice. The nurse gave me some ibuprofen to take. Katie and my mom left to go check out the gift shop to see if they could find some preemie clothes, but they were expensive. I was holding Luka and Evan was on a work call. The nurse got upset that he was on a call, but it was important. He didn't take the call during the delivery, so it was okay. When he got off the call, I gave him Luka, so he could hold him. :) it was so cute. I was in the room a lot longer than I was when I had Braelynn. It was nice to relax a little bit. The CNA came in and helped me get into the wheel chair. I was so numb, it was hard to get in it, even though it was right next to the bed. The CNA was great, she was so sweet! She handed me Luka once I was in the chair. Evan grabbed my stuff to take to our room. We went to the elevator to go to our room. She wasn't able to get it open, so we had to wait for someone to come help. When we got up there, they took Luka and put him in the bassinet and got me comfortable. All the nurses I had help me until we left were so nice. I was still so numb, I needed help getting up. I had a terrible migraine from not eating all day, so I wasn't up to eating the food I ordered from the cafeteria. The nurse brought me an ice pack and tylenol. Evan got me a frosted lemonade from Chick fil-a since it was across the street. Katie and my mom left so they could get my dad and Braelynn. Matt, Rachelle, their boys, Jessica, and Emily were in Disneyland. They met him when they got back. :) they checked my vitals and took him away to check on him. He was doing great. I fed him when they brought him back. I loved holding our sweet baby boy. :) Later, Evan's family came to meet Luka, along with my dad. My mom and Katie came again too, they brought Braelynn to meet her baby brother.  she came and sat on my lap, but was very nervous to see him. She said, "baby brother come out of your tummy!" She warmed up a tiny bit and came up to see him. She was really excited that both sets of grandparents were there. She kept saying, "two grandmas, two papas!" Nick held him and read a BYU story book to him, it was adorable. All the grandparents held him, then Clarissa and Katie. They didn't stay too long. Braelynn was staying with my family, we missed her that night. It was nice to have visitors. :) they checked our vitals a few times throughout the night. Evan changed his first diaper at the hospital, one that a nurse didn't change Haha. He got his first bath later that night, it was so fun to watch, he was so cute! The CNA gave him a little spiked hairdo and put him in a longsleeved onesie and swaddled him in warm blankets. He slept really well that night, maybe 4 or 5 hours straight. The next day, I got a meal for breakfast, it was decent enough. They said we would probably stay two days, but we could most likely leave after one. He got tests done and all came back great, except for his hearing test. They had to redo it later because he was making too much noise haha. We chose a meal to have together for lunch since Evan was able to have one free meal. After lunch, he left to go home and shower and get our other car. Katie had it when they took Braelynn to the hospital. Our pediatrician came and checked him out and said he looked great and we could go home that day. My OB came and met him and gave me a hug. She is so sweet, I love having her as my doctor! I also filled out paperwork for his birth certificate and social security card. Evan came back and we chilled for awhile, we were waiting for the nurse to come back to give us the clear to leave. I got changed out of my hospital gown, then we put him in his going home outfit.  he was so tiny in it, it melted my heart! We put him in his carseat thinking we were leaving shortly after, but the nurse didn't come back for a while. He was getting fussy, so I took him out to feed him. After that, I put him back in the car seat and I left to find a nurse to see what was going on. They were waiting on my prescriptions, once they were printed we could go. We left our room after we got the go ahead and met the nurse at the front desk so she could scan his bracelet and security tag. I'm so glad they do that for mothers and babies to keep them safe at hospitals. A nurse walked out with us to make sure his seat was secure, then we were good to go! I was going to sit with him in the back seat, but it was too squishy with two car seats, so I moved to the front. We went to my parent's house to pick up Braelynn and to bring her home. She was do excited to see her baby brother. :) we visited a little bit and brought him inside. Alex got to hold him, and my mom and Katie. We left a little while later to take our little ones home. Going home to our apartment was an adventure. The air conditioning still was not fixed, so the emergency maintenance guy came and gave us a temporary fix with a portable unit. We all slept in the front room for almost 3 weeks! That is how long it took to finally get it fixed. It was ridiculous and so hot! Logan and Rachel came that night to meet Luka and Katie and Alex came over to see him again and brought some preemie sized clothes because he was so tiny!
He woke up every two to three hours once we were at home. At about three months, he started sleeping 4 or 5 hours straight, which is so nice! My grandparents came to meet him a couple of weeks later and like I mentioned before, Matt, Rachelle and their little boys came to visit along with Jessie and Emily. Clarissa came over a few times and brought Luke since he hadn't met him yet. We had family and ward members bring us meals, and I had a couple of friends visit as well. :) when he was a little over a month old, we took newborn and family pictures. They turned out so cute! The next day, Evan blessed our baby boy surrounded by our families. ❤ we had a get together after. He rolled over for the first time at a month and a half! Not just once either, he kept doing it when I would put him on his tummy. He didn't like it, so he would roll over haha. At his two month appointment, he weighed 10 pounds and 3 oz, 21 inches long! He was growing so well. The doctor said they usually double their weight by 4 months, not two, but he was growing steadily. He went on his first trip when he was almost 3 months old, he turned 3 months the day we got back. We went to Yellowstone and the Tetons. He did great! He was really fussy when he was hungry, so we had to stop a few times. He slept great at night. The first night, 6 hours straight!
We love our little Luka so much and we are so grateful to have him apart of our family. :) he is such a happy little boy, he smiles so much and laughs a lot now! His smile and laugh are so contagious, he brightens up a room. Braelynn is the sweetest big sister. She is so concerned when he cries and so happy when he smiles or laughs at her. She's adorable. :) He loves his daddy, he always smiles at him. :) he loves to cuddle, I love it!


































No comments:

Post a Comment